We have taken the time to sit down with Daniel, one of the best water polo players in the world and a member of Szolnok.
Check out some of the questions we asked him below:
1. When did you first realize that you could be a career water polo player and that you can turn your passion into your day job?
I first started playing water polo when I was 9 years old and by the time I turned 10, I felt very comfortable in the pool . I think that’s when I decided that I wanted to become a professional player one day.
2. Which challenges did you have to overcome to become the player you are today?
Like every other athlete, if you want to be a professional, you need to make some sacrifices.
For example if you have 2-3 training sessions a day, matches over the weekends then you don’t have much time to spend with your family or friends, or even just to grab a beer – but it’s totally normal and it is absolutely worth it!
3. What motivates you the most about your profession as a water polo player?
I try to find some small motivations every day to keep pushing myself forward, but the biggest motivation is to succeed and win trophies with my current team.
4. What does your daily routine look like?
After I wake up I have breakfast and a good coffee, then I go to training. Usually we start the day in the gym and then right after that we have a swimming session.
Afterwards I have lunch and a little rest in the afternoon, then training again in the evening.
At night I like to watch some series with my wife or read a good book.
5. Who, in your opinion, are some of the best players in the game today?!
4. Varga Dénes
5. Andrija Prlainovic
6. Kis Gabor
6. Could you reflect on your season and tell us a bit about your journey to the title?
We were always striving to win the Hungarian League and we played each game expecting to be champions – During the final games I had this feeling that we had a very good chance to be the winners, we played with confidence and great energy!
I feel that we simply won because this year Szolnok had a very strong , cohesive and complete team and it was hard to believe that we could lose against anybody.
Team work, hard work and effort paid off.
7. Could you tell us something about winning the LEN Euro Cup?
It was actually my first Len cup title, I was more than happy to achieve it. At the end of the last match it was a true thrill when we lost our three goal advantage and OSC made the game very tight.
So penalties came and Viktor saved three shots in a row, so finally it was he who decided the whole game for all of us.
Still, winning such titles is always the greatest feedback to prove that we are on the right path and it also gives us a huge fresh motivation to continue our work towards our next goals.
8. Which other sports do you follow and do you have any hobbies? single match, but of course our goal is to always give our best performance and to come back with a medal!
I like all kinds of sports and I really like to watch how other athletes compete in different sports with one another. My favourites are; basketball, formula 1, and heavyweight boxing.
When I have energy left and also some free time, then mountain biking is my favorite pastime activity. If I only have a few free hours, then playing playstation is also something I enjoy.
9. Your message to Water polo Portal readers?
We players are very glad and thankful for those people who love and follow our sport, that’s why we do what we do – so I just want to say a big thank you to all of them!